Shalakyatantra is defined as the branch of an Ayurveda which deals with diagnosis and management of diseases that occurs above the clavicle. Viz. Diseases of eyes, ears, nose, throat, head, and neck. Since this specialty deals with narrow and delicate parts of the body, it requires various specialized instruments for diagnosis and treatment. Hence, the term Shalaki is used for the specialists of Shalakyatantra.
Earlier the department was submerged with Shalyatantra. In 1983, Department of Shalakyatantra for Undergraduate was individualized. Since then the department is growing and working for the uplift of glorious Ayurveda in Shalakyatantra.
- To attain perfection in the evaluation of Shalakyatantra diseases on classical and modern diagnostic aids, so as to facilitate utmost care to the patients.
- To develop an understanding of research methodology, to conduct research based on modern scientific investigative tools.
The Department of Shalakyatantra intends at bringing about confluence in achieving academic excellence and promoting the development of scientific temper for researchers in Shalakyatantra Ophthalmology, ENT, and Oro-dental specialty.
- To develop the ability to apply evidence based principles of medicine.
- To develop the communication skills.
- To develop the ability to practice the principles of primary health care.
- To recognize the need for lifelong learning, to stay abreast of relevant scientific advances.
- To inculcate thirst for learning so that students develop in-depth knowledge.
- To help the learner to use the knowledge for clinical application in day to day practice.
Department is well established with a class apart Teaching faculty and equipped a laboratory for infusing knowledge to students. Post-graduation in Shalakyatantra was started in the Year 2015 with 6 Post Graduation intakes per year.
Department works under 3 major categories and in domains like Ophthalmology, ENT & Oro-Dental sciences.
Department has developed the concept of specialty and taken up the task of individual OPD with specialized consultants for Ophthalmology, ENT & Oro-dental sciences. Department has come up with innovative practices like the establishment of specialized hi-tech therapy units (viz. Chakshushya & Kankayana) for the treatment of the various eye, ENT & oro-dental diseases. A set of eye exercises kept in functioning as per the requirement of diseases and patients. These units work on standard operative procedures for conducting each and every therapy.
Opthalmology department (Netra Vibhaga) has come up with the successful treatment for Refractive Errors, Allergic conjunctivitis, Dry Eye, Corneal Opacity, Ulcers, Amblyopia, various forms of Vitreo-retinal diseases, etc.
ENT department (Anya Urdhwajatrugata Roga Vibhaga) has come up with the successful treatment of Allergic Rhinitis, Tonsillitis, various types of Headaches, Discharging ears, hearing problems, various scalp problems, etc.
Oro-dental department (Mukha & Danta Vibhaga) has come up with the successful treatment of Recurrent stomatitis, Oral sub-mucosal fibrosis, Halitosis and various dental diseases.